10/14/2010

Breaking News

For the first time in my living memory last night, these two words - Breaking News - were followed by what can only be summed up as unspeakable joy.

Too many times has Breaking News meant death, hatred, scandal, fear.

And yet last night I sat and watched the most amazing display of love between men and their wives, children, parents, and the thousands of people around the world celebrating their freedom from a Chilean mine.

I couldn't help but think of the start of the movie Love Actually, when Hugh Grant puts it...

"General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends."

Although in this situation, it was both dignified and newsworthy, it was nice to know that sometimes the movies are right - sometimes there are happy endings.

One man, Mario Sepulveda, (now called Super Mario by locals - brilliant!) said in an interview...

I grabbed God's hand. I never doubted he would pull me up from there.

After the recent Catholic bashing that's filled the UK headlines, I hope now that people will recognise the amazing strength that God can give people. I hope people will recognise that these are strong men with strong faith, not using God as a lucky charm or a "crutch for the weak-minded" but as their refuge, their strength and their saviour.

As I watched those men cling to their loved ones, I stopped to think about what that hug contained. Besides "I missed you"... it seemed clear that every one of those people was simply saying "I love you, and I'm so happy you're alive"

It made me think... maybe what the world needs is more of those hugs.

You don't have to go through what those men went through, you don't have to be reunited after months of being apart, to tell the important people that you love them and that your world is all the more beautiful for them being alive.

Have a gorgeous day, love people boldly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you say something...