12/19/2010

My Grandma's Buttons

When I was little, I used to love trips to my Grandma's house.
She was one of those brilliant old ladies who collected EVERYTHING!
When she passed away last year, we had to clear out her old bungalow, and although it was hard, there was such happiness in seeing all those things I remembered loving as a child.
Amongst the collection of stamps (not exotic ones, just second class stamps torn off envelopes) and the old issues of the People's Friend magazine, and the hundreds of sachets of salt, we found all of her old knitting and sewing and making stuff, including EVERY button off of every garment she could have ever bought! The woman threw NOTHING away!

And so the other day, when I was rummaging in my mum's craft room for bits and bobs that I needed for some people's gifts, and she brought out my grandma's button box and said I could help myself, I had a bit of a cry before setting about planning something special for them.

My grandma couldn't get out the house very easily , but was far too determined to do nothing. 
So she channelled her energies into making other people happy by providing for people in need...
She spent her last few years knitting blankets for homeless people to keep them warm in winter, and making teddy bears for orphans and homeless children.

And so I've decided, every last one of these buttons will be used to make somebody else happy. I think she would have liked that.



I've already incorporated a few into my home made Christmas gifts for some very special people, but for fear of giving away surprises, I won't show my hand just yet.

3 comments:

  1. I never knew that about your Nan, Nikki, that's a really touching story. I'm sure she would be very proud to see you getting so creative and generous.
    I'm very excited to see the results :)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww that's so lovely! Can't wait to see what you make with them. Are we going to get to see the things you've been making for Christmas soon (I suppose after you've given them to people so as not to ruin the surprise!)

    p.s. Is your Grandma perhaps where you get your hauding OCD from? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! The moment people are given their gifts, they'll be up.
    It's people like you guys who are postponing it =P
    Liz yours is done now... and Ms Pinnock yours is actually currently on my lap being made!
    And yes... I definitely inherit that from her x

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...