4/18/2011

DIY felt ipod case tutorial

Well hello!

Being springtime and bright, strolls in the sunshine with beautiful music are a must in my world.

For months, my ipod has been transported round in a grey (ex-white) cracked horrible old sleeve thing... 
and I felt it was time for a change... so I made this little lovely!


It was such a quick little make, so I thought I'd share how it's done...


1. Lay your ipod / phone / anything else you fancy sprucing up on a pretty coloured piece of felt.

2. Cut about half a cm further out than the edges to make one rectangle, 
then for a second piece, create the same shape, but with a 5cm long tab (the nook out of the side is for the wire).

3. By now you should have two pieces that look like this in comparison to your ipod.

4. Whip stitch around the three edges of the two rectangles where the tab isn't (so the two long sides and the flat short side) If you don't know how to whip stitch, have a peek over here for a simple explanation... http://www.holiday-crafts-and-creations.com/whip-stitch.html


5. With the three edges sewn up, your case should look a little something like this

6. Pop your ipod in there to make sure it fits just right. 

7. On the inside of the tab, sew a small piece of felt down one edge

8. Use a small piece of ribbon or elastic to form a loop large enough for a button of your choice to just fit through. (I use the little ribbons that come in the shoulders of clothes when you buy them) and stitch it down by stitching around the remainder of the small piece of felt. I machine-stitched this bit for the sake of strength.


9. Sew on a pretty colourful button to the main body of the case.

10. Trim the excess everythings and admire your beautiful creation!

Finally... pop your earphones in and listen to...

"Steer" acoustic version by Missy Higgins
"Perfect for Me" by Ron Pope
"Atlas Hands" by Benjamin Francis Leftwich
and "Weight of the World" by Chantal Kreviazuk

Enjoy your sunny day x




Photobucket



13 comments:

  1. Brilliant tutorial! I just pinned it. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely idea! I have a new smart phone that needs some cute protection, when I do it I'll link to you so you can see!
    xo Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Love it! I must find time to make one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out lovely. What kind of felt do you recommend that doesn't pill/get all feathery looking after lots of use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you lovely people!

    To everyone who's planning on making one of these... do let me know, I'd love to see everyone's different versions! I'm planning on making a manly one for my fiancé's new iphone next.

    As for types of felt... I must admit I'm no expert. I just swear by using local haberdasheries who pride themselves on quality rather than big chain stores who buy everything in bulk.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is SUPER cute! i love the color of the one u made!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so cute! I'll have to try it...

    Danielle from
    http://inspireddays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute project! I adore the hand-stitching part of it...it makes it something I could whip together while watching TV at night :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love it! I have the same ipod as you too. People are always recruiting my mom to knit them an ipod case!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial!! What a cute ipod cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my comment on this post was deleted. I believe I said I loved the tutorial and want to try something like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, so simple and cute! i have been desperate to find a sweet and easy tutorial, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow i am going to try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...