7/25/2011

A peek into my sketch book...

Life is crazy and wonderful right now.

Since my graduation day (which was awesome by the way) I've landed myself a full time job
...I start on Thursday - EXCITING!
But I'm currently sofa surfing until my permanent house is ready.
The downside is that I had to send lots of stuff to my parents house, to be more mobile in my travels... and I stupidly put my craft boxes in the wrong pile and I am without them! =(

However... all is not lost!
I've been hugely hugely inspired since I started blogging by Natalie 
who blogs at Awkward and Beautiful about her art journalling. 
Her style is just incredible and some of her pages take your breath away.
Some people just have the most beautiful honesty.

So since I am without needle and thread and felt and glue...
I decided to dust of the old pencil tin, be inspired, and have a doodle.

I love the concept I've come across time and time again lately of just filling a sketchbook with doodles and scribbles and ideas, whether they look any good or not.
I am one of those horrible perfectionist types who doesn't want anything seen until it's just right.
So I challenged myself to just draw, whether it looked good or not.

So here's a sample of what's been pouring outa my pen... 
without fixing up or perfecting or grabbing my eraser once.



These two were both pencil and then ink and sharpie. 
Sharpie may just be my new favourite drawing tool.

Good old fashioned pencil and paper.


Also... I HAVE MY BUSINESS CARDS!!
(A word of warning... don't rush off to the Folksy address listed. There's nothing in there yet...
I stupidly sent everything I'd made to my parents house too... D'oh)
Check them out...

Do you like them?

I've also been working on some mini paintings inspired by some of my favourite songs.
I just hope I have time for all this once I start my job...

13 comments:

  1. your sketches are great! i would love to see more!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new job! & I love your sketches here, can't wait to see more!

    xo Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new job! I would love to see more sketches, too. I know what you're saying about being a perfectionist with your sketchbook-- I'm the same way so I haven't really drawn anything in forever-- but I love that you're doing it anyway. Thanks so much for following! Following back! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. that first sketch is my favorite! so gorgeous. congrats on your new job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a new job! Congrats!!!

    Fantastic pencil drawings-especially like that first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the job! And your drawings are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those drawings are flippin amazing!! Congratulations on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey girl! Congratulations! new jobs are so exciting. I hope you're loving it.


    I was just dropping by all of my old followers to let everyone know the blog has changed url- if you'd like to resubscribe head over to http://ohsweetdarlin.blogspot.com

    It'd be fun to hear from you and see your comments on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your sketches and do like the cards!
    Congrats on finding a job, I know it's not easy nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki those are awesome-especially the first one. I dug out my old sketch books the other day and thought how I need to start a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sketches! And I especially love that you didn't edit. I do something similar with journaling; stream of consiousness writing with no editing. I wait for a bit (days, weeks) before reading what I wrote, and love it when I find good thoughts and ideas to work with. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hai...I am Jayesh...super sketches

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...