2/27/2012

Here we are...

After a long and emotionally exhausting kind of a week,
I made a conscious effort this weekend to give myself some real time off.

I have to admit, I'm terrible  at time off...
The only days I've taken off work in the last 6 months are to go on training courses for my other job,
and when I do have a free day, I like to know that I'm doing something "constructive" with my time.
So I'll book a driving lesson or do some volunteering or get my wedding planning hat on.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to play martyr here - my busy bee ways are entirely through my own choice, and I would pick extreme busy over extreme boredom any week.
But when your brain starts to ache and you consider 7.30am a lie in, it's time for some time off.

So this Saturday afternoon, I cancelled all my plans and spent several hours walking around the city with my fiance, just being.
We wandered in and out of some shops, had some lunch, spoke about the things we're each passionate about and re-remembered to always learn about and from the people you love. 
We drank coffee and looked at kitchenware for our hypothetical marital home, 
and my mind and my heart were at peace.

It dawned on me later that day, sat alone in my room with a glass of wine, a bag of cookies and a wedding magazine, that I wouldn't change my life for anything.

This is a wonderful exciting and blessed time of my life, and yes it may be crazy and exhausting and I may want my bed during a high percentage of my waking hours, but I know that I will look back on this time with happiness.

Right now, this is where I am, and I'm content.


A few months back, I shared a little painting inspired by a song I love,
and this week I found myself obsessing over maybe my favourite song of all time by the incredible Jason Mraz, just not able to get the lyrics out of my head. 
I painted the above with an overwhelming sense of being just fine with exactly how things are, no matter how busy or messy or sometimes difficult.



Here we are.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to take a day and just spend time with your fiance. I know that is hard to do for me too!
    ITs amazing what one day can do for the soul though!
    Beautiful painting!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to you so much. i sometimes find it hard to calm down for a minute and stop rushing from one place to another. But when I do it is great. Also love the picture of the page :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a beautiful painting, i love it!!
    i also enjoy jason mraz's music. one of my all time favorites is by him, it's "lucky". do you know it? me and my hubby (who is also my best friend) are from two continents and have had to be separated at times. although it's quite a happy tune it can make me cry at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I agree with you though, it's good to keep busy, but adding those days of rest is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, it sounds like you had the perfect "me" and "us" time. It is so important to keep learning and listening to each other.

    Have a wonderful week :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...