8/22/2012

Wedding Wednesdays - DIY Rose Corsage Tutorial

With about 4 and a half months left until the big day,
all the "big jobs" are done.

I have ticked off - with a grin on my face - the dress, the venue, the rings, the transport...
So now we're onto the details phase!
And oh my, I love details!!


I decided fairly early on that, being a winter wedding, 
I want my loved ones to be comfortable and warm as much as I want them looking their best.
So instead of carrying bouquets, I'm choosing to have my Bridesmaids in fur muffs.
Not wanting them to go without flowers all together though, 
I decided to go for handmade classic rose corsages.


And they are just so simple to make!

You'll need to get your hands on some of these...
These type of bands are available at lots of craft stores, 
or online from sites like Corsage Creations.
They tend to come with a plastic tab that's handy if you're putting together something complex to attach, but if you're going for something simple like I am, I found it easier to whip this off. 

And some false flowers that you like the look of...
A large corner of my room is taken up with a box of 48 of these beauties.

1. 
Firstly, we need to get rid of the stem.
Either just chop it off with a pair of scissors, or if you want rid of the leaves as well, these are often  glued on so prepare to ruin your manicure and simply pull them away from the main flower.

2.
Now you'll need to superglue the end of a piece of 
fine ribbon in a matching colour to the base of your flower. 
Once the glue is dry, pull the end of the ribbon underneath one of the outer petals.

3.
With the loose end of the ribbon, weave across the width of the band.
Pull tight up the the edge of the flower.

4.
Lay the band flat against the base of the flower 
and again, pull the loose ribbon end underneath the next outer petal.
Repeat the weaving back across the band and looping under the petals until the flower is secure from each angle.

5.
Once the flower is secure, the ribbon will naturally fall between the beads of the band.
You can now neatly tie of the end, give a good splodge of superglue if you want to be doubly safe and cut any excess.

Hey presto!
One handmade cream rose wrist corsage.

Now just two more to make... then for the button holes!

4 comments:

  1. oh isnt that just sooo pretty! :) so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! The fur muffs are definitely a nice idea. I got married in May, but the weather ended up being just above freezing. My girls and I would definitely have appreciated a fur muff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so elegant! Love your blog; stay in touch if you'd like (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. So romantic! It turned out great!

    Gina Michele
    Crochet Clouds

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...